Gbegiri bowl with sautéed kale, mushrooms, caramelized onions
1 cup white rice
2 large white or yellow onions, peeled, halve and thinly sliced ¼ thick
6 Tablespoons butter or oil
12 button mushrooms, cleaned and halved
3 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
3-4 leaves of kale, stems removed and leaves chopped
1 jar Egunsifoods Gbegiri Soup
¼” freshly ground black pepper *optional
1. Rinse and cook rice in 2 cups of water with ¼ teaspoon salt, add 1 Tbsp. of butter or oil and cook for 30-45 minutes. Remove from the heat and cover. Gently fluff the rice with a fork before serving.
2. Heat 2 Tablespoons of butter or oil in a fry pan (large and wide pan over medium until melted and sizzling). Add the onions, stir until soft and starting to turn translucent, 1–2 minutes. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stir and flatten onion, reduce heat to medium-low cover with a lid and cook. Stir often until desired shade of brown is achieved, about 30 minutes. You can caramelize onions in advance and store in the fridge in an airtight container for 1 week.
3. Remove the onions from the pan, turn the heat up and add 2 more Tablespoons of butter or oil. Add mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes, stir and cook for 3 more minutes. Season with salt, add ⅔ of garlic, stir to combine and cook for a few more minutes until garlic is golden brown. Remove from the pan.
4. Return the pan to heat, add the remaining 2 Tablespoons of butter or oil and the rest of garlic. Cook for 1 minute, add kale, ¼ cup of water, close with a lid and sauté for a few minutes until kale is soft but still bright green. Remove the lid and cook until the water is evaporated. Season with salt.
5. Heat up Egunsifoods Gbegiri Soup following the package instructions.
6. Assemble the bowls: add rice, kale, mushrooms, onions, top everything with Gbegiri soup. Enjoy!